Dr. ZHAO Yan
Institute of Geographic Sciences and Natural Resources Research,Chinese Academy of Sciences
A11 Datun Road Beijing 100101 P.R. China
Phone: +86 (10) 6488-9938
FAX: +86 10) 6488-9938
Paleoclimatology and paleoecology; late glacial and Holocene; pollen and macrofossil analysis of lake and peatland sediments.
B.Sc. in Geography, Hubei University (Wuhan, China), 1989
M.Sc. in Ecology, Hubei University, 1995
Ph.D. in Historical Physical Geography, Wuhan University, 1998
Post-Doctoral Fellow, 7/1998 - 3/2000, Faculty of Earth Sciences, China University of Geosciences, Wuhan, China (Paleoentology and paleoecology; Research Sponsor: Prof. Hongfu Yin)
Post-Doctoral Fellow (Funded by Royal Society Royal Fellowship), 4/2000 - 5/2001, Environmental Change Research Centre (ECRC), University College London, London, UK. (Plant macrofossil analysis and vegetation history; Research Sponsor: Dr. Carl Sayer)
Post-Doctoral Fellow (Funded by DAAD), 1/2002 - 8/2002, National Natural History Museum Karlsruhe, Karlsruhe, Germany (Pollen record and Late Holocene Environmental Change; Research Sponsor: Dr. Adam Hoelzer)
Professor, 2012-present, Institute of Geographic Sciences and Natural Resources Research, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China
Professor, 2008-2011, Research School of Arid Environment and Climatic Change, Lanzhou University, Lanzhou, China
Associate Professor, 2003 - 2007, College of Earth and Environmental Sciences, Lanzhou University, Lanzhou, China
Visiting Scientist, 12/2008-1/2009, Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA, USA.
Visiting Scientist, 11/2007-12/2007, Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research, Research Unit Potsdam, Germany
Visiting Scientist, 1/2007-6/2007, Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA, USA.
Visiting Scientist, 12/2005-12/2006, Environmental Change Research Centre (ECRC), University College London, London, UK.
Humboldt Fellowship Visiting Scientist, 2011-2014 (18 months in three periods), Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research, Research Unit Potsdam, Germany.
1. Zhao, Y., Sayer, D.C., Birks, H.H. Hughes, M., Peglar, S.M., 2006. Spatial representation of aquatic vegetation by macrofossil and pollen remains in a small and shallow lake. Journal of Paleolimnology 35, 335-350.
2. Zhao, Y., Yu, Z.C., Chen, F.H., Ito, E., Zhao, C., 2007. Holocene vegetation and climate history at Hurleg Lake in the Qaidam Basin, northwest China. Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology 145, 275-288.
3. Zhao, Y., Hoelzer, A., Yu, Z.C., 2007. Late Holocene natural and human-induced environmental change reconstructed from peat records in eastern central China. Radiocarbon 49, 789-798.
4. Zhao, Y., Yu, Z.C., Chen, F.H., Liu, X.J., Ito, E., 2008. Sensitive response of desert vegetation to moisture change based on a near-annual resolution pollen record from Gahai Lake in the Qaidam Basin, northwest China. Global and Planetary Change 62, 107-114.
5. Zhao, Y., Yu, Z.C., Chen, F.H., Li, J.J., 2008. Holocene vegetation and climate change from a lake sediment record in the Tengger Sandy Desert, northwest China. Journal of Arid Environments 72, 2054-2064.
6. Zhao, Y., Yu, Z.C., Chen, F.H., 2009. Spatial and temporal patterns of Holocene vegetation and climate changes in arid and semi-arid China. Quaternary International 194, 6-18.
7. Zhao, Y., Herzschuh, U., 2009. Modern pollen representation of source vegetation in the Qaidam Basin and surrounding mountains, northeastern Tibetan Plateau. Vegetation History and Archaeobotany.18, 245-260.
8. Zhao, Y., Xu, Q.H., Huang, X.Z., Guo, X.L., Tao, S.C., 2009. Difference of modern pollen assemblages from lake sediments and surface soils in arid and semi-arid China and their significance for pollen-based quantitative climate reconstruction. Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology 156, 519-524.
9. Zhao, Y., Yu, Z.C., Chen, F.H., Zhang, J.W., Yang, B., 2009. Vegetation response to Holocene climate change in monsoon-influenced region of China. Earth-Science Reviews 97, 242-256.
10. Zhao, Y., Yu, Z.C., Liu, X.J., Zhao, C., Chen, F.H., Zhang, K., 2010. Late Holocene Vegetation and Climate Oscillations in the Qaidam Basin of the Northeastern Tibetan Plateau. Quaternary Research 73, 59-69.
11. Zhao, Y., Sun, Q.F., 2010. Reliability of pollen concentration as the indicator of effective moisture in arid and semi-arid regions of China. Journal of Arid Environments 74, 423-427.
12. Zhao, Y., Yu, Z.C., Zhao, C., 2010. Hemlock (Tsuga canadensis) declines at 9500 and 5300 cal yr BP caused by Holocene climatic shifts in northeastern North America. The Holocene 20, 877-886.
13. Zhao, Y., Chen, F.H., Zhou, A.F., Yu, Z.C., 2010. Vegetation history, climate change and human activities over the last 6200 years on the Liupan Mountains in the southwestern Loess Plateau in central China. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 293, 197-205.
14. Zhao. Y., Yu, Z.C., Zhao, W.W., 2011. Holocene vegetation and climate histories in the Eastern Tibetan Plateau: controls by insolation-driven temperature or monsoon-derived precipitation changes? Quaternary Science Reviews 30, 1173-1184.
15. Zhao, Y., Yu, Z.C., 2012. Vegetation response to Holocene climate change in East Asian monsoon-margin region. Earth-Science Reviews 113, 1-10.
16. Zhao, Y., Liu, H.Y., Li, F.R, Huang, X.Z., Sun, J.H., Zhao, W.W., Herzschuh, U., Tang, Y., 2012. Application and limitation of Artemisia/Chenopodiaceae pollen ratio in arid and semi-arid China. The Holocene 22, 1385-1392.
17. Zhao, Y., Li, F.R., Hou, Y.T., Sun, J.H., Zhao, W.W., Tang, Y., Li, H., 2012. Surface pollen and its relationships with modern vegetation and climate on the Loess Plateau and surrounding deserts. Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology 181, 47-53.
18. Zhao, Y., Yu, Z.C., Yu, T., Li, H., Yang, B., Li, F.R.,Zhao, W.W., Sun, J.H., Chen, J.H., Li, Q., 2014. Peatland initiation and carbon accumulation in China over the last 50,000 years. Earth-Science Reviews 148, 139-145.
19. Zhao, Y., Tang, Y., Yu, Z.C., Li, H., Yang, B., Zhao, W.W., Li, F.R., Li, Q., 2014. Holocene peatland initiation, lateral expansion and carbon dynamics in the Zoige Basin of the eastern Tibetan Plateau. The Holocene 24, 1137-1145.
20. Zhao, Y., Yu, Z.C., Herzschuh, U., Yang, B., Zhao, H., Fang, K.Y., Li, H., Li, Q., 2014. Vegetation and climate change during Marine Isotope Stage 3 in China. Chinese Science Bulletin 59, 4444-4456.
Vegetation Change and Glacial-Interglacial Climate Cycles on the Eastern Tibetan Plateau. Key Project funded by National Natural Science Foundation of China. RMB 3,100,000 for five years from 1/2014-12/2018. Principal Investigator.
National Natural Science Funds for Distinguished Young Scholar. RMB 2,400,000 to Y. Zhao for 4 years from 1/2012-12/2015. (Award project).
Lake Ecosystem Change and Mechanism in the Northwestern China. China Basic Science Research Grant. RMB 1,000,000 to Y. Zhao for 5 years from 1/2012 to12/2016.
100 Talents Programme of the Chinese Academy of Sciences. RMB 2,500,000 to Y. Zhao for 3 years from 1/2012-12/2014. (Award project).
Environmental Change in arid and semi-arid China since LGM. China Basic Science Research Grant. RMB 1,000, 000 to Y. Zhao for 5 years from 6/2010 to 5/2014.
Holocene Climate Change and the response of vegetation and peatland on the Eastern Tibetan Plateau. National Natural Science Foundation of China. RMB 600,000 for three years from 1/2011-12/2013. Principal Investigator.
Holocene Climatic and Environmental Change in the Qaidam Basin on the NE Tibetan Plateau, Revealed by Lacustrine Pollen Records. Chinese National Natural Science Foundation. RMB 420, 000 for three years from 1/2008 to 12/2010. Principle Investigator.
Understanding Complex Holocene Climatic Responses of the NE Tibetan Plateau to Multiple Lage-scale Forcings. Chinese Ministry of Education- Program for New Century Excellent Talents in University. RMB 500, 000 to Y. Zhao for three years from 1/2008 to 12/2010.
Environmental Change and Land Surface Process in Tibetan Plateau and Central Asian Drylands. NSFC National Innovative Research Team Project. RMB 355, 000 to Y. Zhao for two years from 1/2007 to 12/2010.
MIS 3 Climate Variability in the Monsoon Marginal regions from Lacustrine Sedimentary Records. Chinese National Natural Science Foundation. RMB 300,000 for three years from 1/2004 to 12/2006. Principal Investigator.
Holocene Vegetation and Climate Change at Yema Lake, NW China. Faculty Research Grants of Lanzhou University to Y. Zhao. RMB 200, 000 for two years from 1/2004 to 12/2006.
Late Quaternary Environmental Change in Alashan Plateau, NW China. Key International Collaborative Project from Chinese Ministry of Science and Technology. RMB 100,000 to Y. Zhao for one year from 1/2003 to 12/2003.
Vice President (2011-2015), INQUA Human and Biosphere Commission
Steering Group Member (2014-2017), PAGES Working Group “C-Peat” (Carbon in Peat on EArth through Time)
Regional Coordinator (2008-2012), INTIMATE Working Group (INTegrating Ice core, MArine and Terrestrial records), INQUA Palaeoclimate Commission
Project Secretary (2006-2007), RACHAD Working Group (RApid climate CHanges in central Asia’s Drylands), INQUA Palaeoclimate Commission
General Secretary (2008-2012), Subcommission of Arid Environments, Chinese Quaternary Research Association
Associate Editor (2011-), Vegetation History and Archaeobotany
Editorial Board (2012-), Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology
Editorial Board (2014-), Global and Planetary Change
Editor (2014-), Science China (Earth Sciences)
Collaborators and Other Affiliations
Zicheng Yu (Lehigh Univ., USA); Ulrike Herzschuh (Univ. of Potsdam, Germany); Emi Ito (Univ. of Minnesota, USA); Carl Sayer (Univ. College London, UK)
Hongfu Yin (China University of Geosciences, Wuhan); Carl Sayer (University College London, London); Adam Hoelzer (National Natural History Museum, Karlsruhe, Germany)
M.Sc.: Jiajia Li, Xiuju Liu, Xiaoli Guo, Jinghui Sun, Wenwei Zhao, Furong Li, Yu Tang, and Huan Li
PhD: Ke Zhang, Xiaohong Sun, Yaoliang Liu, Chen Liang and Weihe Ren
Updated on 30 June,2015