Dr. YU Xiubo
Professor, Institute of Geographic Sciences and Natural Resources Research, Chinese Academy of Sciences
Address: 11A Datun Road, Chaoyang District, Beijing, 100101
Fax: +86-10-6488 9820
1999-2000 Post-doctor, Institute of Geographic Science and Natural Resources Research, CAS （Major in Human Geography）
1995-1999 Ph. D. Nanjing Institute of Geography and Limnology, CAS （Major in Regional Geography）
1990-1993 M.Sc. Nanjing Institute of Geography and Limnology, CAS（Major in Physical Geography）
1984-1988 B.Sc. Department of Geography, Nanjing University, China （Major in Geomorpholocy and Quaterary Geology）
2011-Present, Professor, Institute of Geographical Sciences and Natural Resources Research, CAS. 2001-2011 Associate professor, Institute of Geographical Sciences and Natural Resources Research, CAS
2008- 2011, Chief of Faciltiy Department
2003, Director, WWF-China Freshwater and Marine Programme
2002- 2003, Deputy chief, Qianyanzhou Ecological Research Station
1998- 2000, Associate professor, Nanjing Institute of Geography and Limnology, CAS.
1990- 1995, Assistant professor, Nanjing Institute of Geography and Limnology, CAS.
1989-1994 Research associate, Nanjing Institute of Geography and Limnology, CAS
1988-1989 Intern, Nanjing Institute of Geography and Limnology, CAS
2014-present, Chair of Asia of IUCN Commission on Ecosystem Management
2011-present, Ecosystem monitoring and capacity building coordinator, CAS-UNEP International Ecosystem Management Partnership (IEMP)
2006- present, Secretary-General of Scientific Committee of Chinese Ecosystem Research Network (CERN)
2007- present, Member of the Policy and Publicity Committee, International Long-Term Ecological Research (ILTRER)
2015-present, Member and Director of China Wetland Protection
2009-present, Member and Director of Ecological Society of China
2012-present, Secretary General of Long-term Ecological Research Committer, Ecological Society of China
2008-Present, Editorial Member of Resources and Environment in the Yangtze Basin.
2006-Present, Editorial Member of Wetland Science and Management.
Areas of Specialization
Ecosystem Assessment and Management, especially Wetland Conservation and Sustainable Use, Ecosystem Management and Policy.
Publications (* indicates the correspondence author)
1. Shaoxia Xia, Yu Liu, Yuyu Wang, Bin Chen, Yifei Jia, Guanhua Liu, Xiubo Yu*, Li Wen*, 2016. Wintering water birds in a large river floodplain: Hydrological connectivity is the key for reconciling development and conservation, Science of the Total Environment ,573 : 645–660(SCI)
2. Shaoxia Xia, Xiubo Yu*, Spike Millington, Yu Liu, YifeiJia, LongzhuWang,XiyongHou andLuguang Jiang, 2016. Identifying priority sites and gaps for the conservation of migratory waterbirds in China's coastal wetlands, Biological Conservation , http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biocon.2016.07.025(SCI)
3. XIA Shaoxia LIU Yu, CHEN Bin, JIA Yifei, ZHANG Huan, LIU Guanhua, YU Xiubo*, 2016. Effect of water level fluctuation on wintering goose at Poyang Lake, Chinese Geographical Science,doi: 10.1007/s11769-016-0840-z(SCI)
4. Shaoxia Xia, Yuyu Wang, Gang Lei, Yu Liu, Jinyu Lei, Xiubo Yu*, Li Wen*,Yangming Zhou, 2016. Restriction of herbivorous water bird distributions in the middle and lower Yangtze Riverfloodplain in view of hydrological isolation, Wetlands. doi: 10.1007/s13157-016-0841-9(SCI)
5. ZHANG Huan, YU Xiubo, WANG Yuyu, XU Jun. 2016. The importance of terrestrial carbon in supporting molluscs in the wetlands of Poyang Lake, Chinese Journal of Oceanology and Limnology. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00343-017-6014-8. (SCI)
6. Xiao Xiewen, Wang Yuyu, Zhang Huan, Yu Xiubo*. 2015. Effects of primary productivity and ecosystem size on food-chain length in Raohe River, China, Acta Ecoloigica Sinica. 35: 29-34
7. Ayub Oduor, Yu Xiubo, Liu Jian. 2015. Applied evolutionary biology could aid management of invaded ecosystems. Ecosystem Health and Sustainability. 1(6): 1-6
8. Armand Sedami Igor YEVIDE、Wu Bingfang、Yu Xiubo、Li Xiaosong、Liu Yu、Liu Jian. 2015. Building African Ecosystem Research Network for Sustaining Local Ecosystem Goods and Services. CHINESE GEOGRAPHICAL SCIENCE. 25(4): 414–425
9. Xiaowei Li, Xiubo Yu*, Luguang Jiang, Wenye Li, Yu Liu, XiyongHou. How important are the wetlands in the middle-lower Yangtze Riverregion: An ecosystem service valuation approach. Ecosystem Services. 10(2014) 54~60 （SCI）
10. Yuyu Wang, Jun Xu, Xiubo Yu, Guangchun Lei. Fishing down or fishing up in Chinese freshwater Lakes, Fisheries Management and Ecology, 2014, 21, 374~382（SCI）
11. Xiaowei Li, Gang Zhao,Xiubo Yu,Qiang Yu. 2014. A comparison of forest fire indices for predicting fire riskin contrasting climates in China. Natural Hazards. 70(2): 1339~1356 （SCI）Wang Yuyu, Yu Xiubo *, Zhang Lu and Lei Guangchun. 2013 .Seasonal variability in baseline δ15N and usage as a nutrient indicator in Lake Poyang, China. Journal of Freshwater Ecology, 28(30): 365-373
12. Fu Guobin, Yu Jingjie, Yu Xiubo, Ouyang Rulin, Zhang Yichi, Wang Ping, Liu Wenbin and Min Leilei. 2013. Temporal variation of extreme rainfall events in China, 1961-2009. Journal of Hydrology, 487, 48-59
13. R. Quentin Grafton,Michele Warburton,Qiang Jiang, Jamie Pittock, Bradley Udall, Tom Kompas,, Amanda Lynch, Richard Davis, Ronnie McKenzie,John Williams, Yu Xiubo,Richard Norris, Fu Guobin, Nhu Che,Daniel Connell and Hugh Possingham. 2013. Global insights into water resources, climate change and governance. Nature Climate Change, 3(4), 315-321
14. YU Xiubo, Jiang Luguang, Tan Bingqing and Yuan Wenjie. 2013. Water Pollution Zone Booster Huaihe River Basin Integrated Management. Environment Protection. No.13. 27-29
15. Zhang Quanjun, Yu Xiubo* and Hu Binghua, Research on the Characteristics of Plant Communities in the Poyang Nanji Wetlands，China. 2013. Resources Science. Vol.35，No.14.42-49 (in Chinese with English Abstract)
16. Kirti Avishek, Yu Xiubo and Liu Jian, Ecosystem management in Asia Pacific: Bridging science–policy gap, Environmental Development.2012. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.envdev.2012.03.014
17. Wang Yuyu, Yu Xiubo*, Xu Jun, Li Wenhuan and Fan Na, Temporal variation of energy sources in a floodplain lake fish community. Journal of Freshwater Ecology,2012, 1–9.
18. Wang Yuyu, Yu Xiubo* and Xu Jun. Decreased trophic position as a function of increasing body size of a benthic omnivorous fish from the largest freshwater lake in China. 2011. Environmental Biology of Fishes. 91:505–512
19. Wang YuYu, Yu XiuBo*, Li WenHua, Xu Jun, Chen YuWei and Fan Na. Potential influence of water level changes on energy flows in a lake food web. Chinese Science Bulletin. 2011. Vol.56 No.26: 2794−2802
20. Lv Yihe, Fu Bojie, Wei Wei, Yu Xiubo, Sun Ranhao. Major Ecosystems in China: Dynamics and Challenges for Sustainable Management. 2011. Environmental Management 48:13–27
21. Fu Bojie, Li Shenggong, Yu Xiubo, Yang Ping and Yu Guiri, Chinese ecosystem research network: Progress and perspectives. 2010. Ecological Complexity 7. 225-233
22. Dorri G. J. te Boekhorst, Toine J. M. Smits, Xiubo Yu, Lifeng Li, Gang Lei and Chen Zhang. Implementing Integrated River Basin Management in China. 2010. Ecology and Society 15(2): 23. 99-119
23. He Juan, Shu Xiaoqing and Yu Xiubo*. Surveys and Analysis of Farmers’ Perception about Wetland Ecosystem Services in Poyang Lake. 2010. Resources Science. Vol.32，No.4. 776-781 (in Chinese with English Abstract)
24. Yu Xiubo, Xia Shaoxia, He Honglin, Yang Bangyou and Fang Yu. Approaches to Assessing Major Ecosystem Services in the Poyang Lake Basin, China. 2010. Resources Science. Vol.32，No.5. 810-816 (in Chinese with English Abstract)
25. Liu Ying, Fang Na, Yu Xiubo*, Xia Shaoxia and Qi Shuhua. Identification of Wetland Boundaries of Poyang Lake and Analysis of Seasonal Change Based on Remote Sensing and GIS technology. Resources Science. Vol.32，No.11. 2239-2245 (in Chinese with English Abstract)
26. Xia Shaoxia, Yu Xiubo* and Fan Na, The Wintering Habitats of Migrant Birds and Their Relationship with Water Level in Poyang Lake, China. 2010. Resources Science.Vol.32，No.11. 2072-2078 (in Chinese with English Abstract)
27. Xiubo Yu, Lugguang Jiang, Lifeng Li, Jinxin Wang, Limin Wang, Gang Lei and Jamie Pittock. Freshwater management and climate change adaptation: Experiences from the central Yangtze in China. Climate and Development. 2009. 241-248 (SSCI)
28. Wang Yuyu, Yu Xiubo*, Zhang Liang, Xu Jun, Food wed structure of Poyang Lake during the dry season by stable carbon and nitrogen isotopes analysis, Acta Ecologica Sinica. Vol.29, No.3. 2009. 1181-1188 (in Chinese with English Abstract)
29. Zhou Yangming, Yu Xiubo, Yu Guiri, A Case Study of the International Ecosystem Assessment. 2008. Vol.2, No.23. Advances in Earth Science. 1209-1217 (in Chinese with English Abstract)
30. Zhou Yangming, Yu Xiubo, Yan Bangyou, Balance and Change Trend of Cropland Soil Nutrients in Jiangxi Province During 1949 to 2005. Acta Agriculturae Universitatis Jiangxiensis. 2008. Vol.30. No.5. 919-926
Pulished Books and Chapters (Only listed thosed published in English)
1. Chen Yiyu, Beate Jessel, Fu Bojie, Yu Xiubo and Jamie Pittock. Ecosystem services and Management Strategy in China. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg. 2014
2. Wang Yi, Wang Xuejun, Yu Xiubo, Wang Yahua, Taking Stock of Integrated River Basin Management in China, Beijing：Science Press，2007
3. Yu Xiubo, Li Lifeng, Yan Bangyou, Lessons Learned for Integrated River Basin Management. Beijing：China Environmental Science Press. October, 2005
4. Yang Guishan, Wen Lida, Li Lifeng (editors)，Yangtze Conservation and Development Report 2007 (Chapter 15), Beijing: Science Press, 2008
5. Bernard Sonntag, Honglie Sun, Agriculture Development and Environment Critical Areas of China(Chapters 3), Beijing: Science Press, 2002
Major Research Projects:
1. International cooperation project jointly supported by The Henry M. Paulson, Jr. Institute, Blueprint of Coastal Wetland Conservation and Management in China, 2014-2015
2. National Natural Science Foundation Project, Effects of the herbivorous Migratory Waterfowls on food web structure and C/N/P Nutrient Cycles in Poyang Lake, China. 2015-2018.
3. National Natural Science Foundation Project, Relationship between habitats for wintering waterbirds and plant population in the context of fluctuated hydrolical regeme in Poyang Lake, China. 2012-2015.
(The following projects have been successfully closed)
1. Chinese Academy of Sciences Project” Advanced Training Workshop on Ecosystem Monitoring and Management for Developing Contries”
2. National Natural Science Foundation Project for International Cooperation, Capacity Assessment of ecosystem monitoring, research and management in Africa. 2012-2014.
3. Chinese Academy of Sciences Project for International Cooperation Projec, China-Africa Cooperation for ecosystem assement and management 2011-2013.
4. National Key Science and Technology Program，Reform and management system and demonstration study on water environment focus on Huaihe River. 2009-2012
5. National Key Basic Research Program of China, Key technological research and development on integrated monitoring and evaluation of national ecological restoration and enhancement. 2006-2010.
6. National Key Basic Research Program of China, The main terrestrial ecosystem services and ecological security in China focus on the Poyang Lake Basin, China. 2009-2012.
7. International cooperation project jointly supported by CIDA and EU-China Biodiversity Programme, CCICED task force on ecosystem services and management in China. 2009-2010.
8. International cooperation Projects supported by MOST, Sino-German integrated management of ecosystem in Poyang Lake Basin, China. 2006-2009.
9. 2008 International cooperation project supported by WWF, Scientific research on vulnerability and adaptability assessment of wetland ecosystems in the central and lower Yangtze River, China. 2007-2009.
10. . 2007 International cooperation project supported by AusAID, Taking stock of integrated river basin management in China. 2006-2007.
11. 2006 International cooperation project by WWF, Wetland conservation and management study in Central and Lower Yangtze River, China. 2006-2007.
12. 2006 International cooperation project by WWF International, Wetland management and sustainable use in Honghu Lake, China. 2006-2007.
13. 2003 International cooperation project supported by CIDA and WWF, CCICED task force on integrated river basin management. 2003-2004.
Updated on Mar. 15, 2017