Name: Yansui Liu
Profession: Land Use and Rural Geography Specialist
Current Appointment: Professor
Prof. Yansui Liu, born in 1965 in Suide County, Shaanxi Province, is professor and PhD supervisor, and director of the Centre for Regional Agriculture and Rural Development (CRARD,www.rard.org), executive director of the Research Centre for Land Use Planning (CLUP) at the Institute of Geographic Sciences and Natural Resources Research (IGSNRR), Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS). Yangtze River Scholar Distinguished Professor (2012).
He currently serves as Director-general, China Urban-Rural Development Think Tank Alliance (CURTA, www.curta.org.cn), Vice-director general, the Agricultural Resource and Zoning Society of China, the chair of the Subcommission on Land Resources Research, Chinese Society for Natural Resources (CSNR), the chair of the Subcommission on Agricultural Geography and Rural Development, Geographical Society of China (GSC), and an adjunct professor in the Land Use Key Laboratory of Ministry of Land and Resources (MLR), Graduate School of CAS, and Shaanxi Normal University. He is one of the associate chief editors of the journal Areal Research and Development, and a member of the editorial board of Chinese Geographical Sciences, Journal of Mountain Sciences, Resources Science, Progress in Geography, and Human Geography.
Prof. Yansui Liu graduated from the Geography Department of Shaanxi Normal University with a BSc in 1989, an MSc in 1995, and received his PhD degree from the Nanjing Normal University in 1998. He completed his postdoctoral research at IGSNRR in 2000. He also carried out research at Montana State University and the University of Auckland as a visiting scholar in 2001 and 2003, respectively.
Areas of Specialization:
Prof. Yansui Liu is a geographer and his major areas of research are land use, land resources security, land consolidation engineering and optimal allocation of land use, regional agriculture and rural development, urbanization and new countryside construction. So far he as the principal investigator has undertaken 70 research projects sponsored by NSFC, CAS, MLR, MAC and the Ministry of Science and Technology.
He has received eight awards, including five first prize of Sciences and Technology Advancement Award of Hainan Province in 2009, Shaanxi Province in 2006,2011,2014, Ministry of Land and Resources (MLR) in 2013, and three second prize of MLR in 2015,Yunnan Province in 2009, Shaanxi Province in 2004. He was a recipient of the countrywide outstanding scientists and technologists in 2012, first prize on academy-local government cooperative award, CAS in 2011, outstanding science and technology achievement Award, CAS in 2009, the young agronomic technology award of CAASS in 2004, the young science and technology researcher award of CSNR in 2003, the young geographical sciences technology award of GSC, the best PhD dissertation award of Jiangsu Province in 1999.
Major Research Projects:
1. Major projects of the National Social Science Foundation: The Influence of Urbanization on the Agriculture and Rural Development and its Countermeasures in China（15ZDA021）
2. General Office of the CPC Central Committee: The Key Research Project on the Land Use System Reform of Rural China 
3. General Office of the State Council: Third-part Assessment Project of State Council “Implementation of Taking the Targeted Poverty Alleviation Policy”
4. The Key Project of National Natural Science Foundation of China: The Impact of Rural-Urban Development Transformation on Resources and its Optimal Controlling: Case Study of the Bohai Rim Region in China (No.41130748) [2012-2016]
5. The Project of the Chinese Academy of Sciences: Urbanization Models and Policies in Agricultural Region of China [2012-2014]
6. The Twelfth Five Year National Science and Technology Support Project: Key Technology Research and Demonstration of Hollowed Village Comprehensive Consolidation (2014BAL01B00)
7. The Knowledge Innovation Program of the Chinese Academy of Sciences: Key Issues of Rural Hollowing in the Process of Rapid Urbanization (KZCX2-EW-304) [2010-2013]
8. The Key Engineering Projects of Land Consolidation in Yanan Shaanxi Supported by Central Government[2012-2013]
9. The Key Engineering Projects of High-Standard Farmland Construction in Weihe Basin of Shaanxi Supported by Central Government[2011-2012]
10. The Key Project of National Natural Science Foundation of China:Research on the New Countryside Construction Patterns and Approach to Sustainable Developoment in Eastern Coastal Areas in China (No.40635029) [2007-2010]
11. The Key Knowledge Innovation Project of Chinese Academic of Sciences: The Rural Land-Use Potential and Its Optimal Allocation Planning in Shandong Province (No. KSCX-YW-09) [2008-2010]
12. The Project of National Natural Science Foundation of China: The Impact Mechanism of Resources Great Exploitation on Land Degradation and Optimal Control Ways in Agro-pasture Transitional Zone(No.40871257) [2009-2011]
13. The National Basic Research Program of China: The Acidifications in Northern China and its Impacting on Water, Land and Food Security (No.2006CB400505) [2006-2009]
14. The key Project of Ministry of Land and Resources: Land Use Strategy in China [2006-2008]
15. The Knowledge Innovation Project of Chinese Academic of Sciences: A Study of Land-Water Resources Utilization and Agro-Rural Development in Middle Region of China (No. KZCX3-SW-353-02) [2006-2007]
16. The Key Knowledge Innovation Project of Chinese Academic of Sciences: Agricultural Land-Water Resources Optimal Allocation in Northeastern China (No. KZCX1-SW-19-01) [2002-2006]
17. The key Project of Ministry of Land and Resources: The Mechanism of Land Use Changes and Its Scenario Analysis in China (No.20010102) [2002-2005]
18. The Project of National Natural Science Foundation of China: Studies on the Types Conversion and Optimal Allocation of Land Resources in the Southeast Coastal Developed Regions (No.40171007) [2002-2004]
19. The Specialized Research of Planning Updating of Ministry of Land and Resources: A Study on the Land Use Strategies of China. [2006-2007]
20. People's Government of Hainan Province: Land Use General Planning of Hainan Province (2006-2020) [2005-2008]
Prof. Yansui Liu has published more than 380 scientific papers, ninety of which have appeared in SCI, SSCI journals like Nature, Land Use Policy, Journal of Rural Studies, International Journal of Remote Sensing, Environmental Management, Journal of Environmental Management, Applied Geography and Pedosphere. His other publications include twelve books. The selected publications are as follows.
1. Liu Yansui, Li Yuheng, Chen Cong. Pollution: Build on success in China. Nature, 2015,517(7533):145-145. doi:10.1038/517145d
2. Liu Yansui, Li Yuheng. China’s land creation project stands firm. Nature, 2014,511(7510): 410-410. doi:10.1038/511410c
3. Bai Xuemei, Shi Peijun, Liu Yansui. Realizing China’s urban dream. Nature, 2014, 509 (7499): 158-160. doi:10.1038/509158a
4. Liu Yansui, Yan Bin, Zhou Yang. Urbanization, economic growth, and carbon dioxide emissions in China: a panel cointegration and causality analysis. Journal of Geographical Sciences, 2016, 26(2): 131-152.
5. Liu Yansui, Zhou Yang, Wu Wenxiang. Assessing the impact of population, income and technology on energy consumption and industrial pollutant emissions in China. Applied Energy, 2015, 155: 904-917.
6. Liu Yansui, Guo Yanjun, Li Yurui, Li Yuheng. GIS-based effect assessment of soil erosion before and after gully land consolidation: A case study of Wangjiagou project region, Loess Plateau. Chinese Geographical Science, 2015, 25(2): 137-146.
7. Liu Yansui, Chen Cong, Li Yurui. Differentiation regularity of urban-rural equalized development at prefecture-level city in China. Journal of Geographical Sciences, 2015, 25(9): 1075-1088.
8. Wang Guogang, Liu Yansui, Li Yurui, et al. Dynamic trends and driving forces of land use intensification of cultivated land in China. Journal of Geographical Sciences, 2015, 25(1): 45-57.
9. Zhou Yang, Liu Yansui, Wu Wenxiang, Li Yurui. Effects of rural-urban development transformation on energy consumption and CO2 emissions: A regional analysis in China. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, 2015, 52: 863-875.
10. Li Yuheng, Li Yurui, Hans Westlund, Liu Yansui. Urban-rural transformation in relation to cultivated land conversion in China: Implications for optimizing land use and balanced regional development. Land Use Policy, 2015, 47: 218-224.
11. Yang Ren, Liu Yansui, Long Hualou, Qiao Luyin. Spatio-temporal characteristics of rural settlements and land use in the Bohai Rim of China. Journal of Geographical Sciences, 2015, 25(5): 559-572.
12. Li Yurui, Long Hualou, Liu Yansui. Spatio-temporal pattern of China's rural development: A rurality index perspective. Journal of Rural Studies, 2015, 38: 12-26.
13. Long Hualou, Liu Yansui. A brief background to rural restructuring in China: A forthcoming special issue of Journal of Rural Studies. Journal of Geographical Sciences, 2015, 25(10): 1279-1280.
14. Li Yuheng, Zhang Zhenghe, Westlund, Hans, Liu Yansui. Rural Household Income in Transitional China: Spatio-Temporal Disparity and Its Interpretation. China-An International Journal, 2015, 13(2): 151-168.
15. Zhou Yang, Liu Yansui, Wu Wenxiang, Li Ning. Integrated risk assessment of multi-hazards in China. Natural Hazards, 2015, 78(1): 257-280.
16. Han Jichang, Liu Yansui, Zhang Yang. Sand stabilization effect of feldspathic sandstone during the fallow period in Mu Us Sandy Land. Journal of Geographical Sciences, 2015, 25(4): 428-436.
17. Hu Shougeng, Tong Luyi, Frazier Amy E, Liu Yansui. Urban boundary extraction and sprawl analysis using Landsat images: A case study in Wuhan, China. Habitat International, 2015, 47: 183-195.
18. Li Yuheng, Wang Xun, Westlund Hans, Liu Yansui. Physical Capital, Human Capital, and Social Capital: The Changing Roles in China's Economic Growth. Growth and Change, 2015, 46(1): 133-149.
19. Liu Yansui, Fangfang, Li Yuheng. Key issues of land use in China and implications for policy making. Land Use Policy, 2014, 40: 6-12.
20. Liu Yansui, Yang Ren, Long Hualong, Jay Gao. Implications of land-use change in rural China: A case study of Yucheng, Shandong province. Land Use Policy, 2014, 40: 111-118.
21. Liu Yansui, Hu Zhichao, Li Yuheng. Process and cause of urban–rural development transformation in the Bohai Rim Region, China. Journal of Geographical Sciences, 2014, 24(6): 1147-1160.
22. Liu Yansui, Lu Shasha, Chen Yufu. Spatio-temporal change of urban-rural equalized development patterns in China and its driving factors. Journal of Rural Studies, 2013, (32): 320-330.
23. Liu Yansui, Yang Ren, Li Yuheng. Potential of land consolidation of hollowed villages under different urbanization scenarios in China. Journal of Geographical Sciences, 2013, 23(3): 503-512.
24. Liu Yansui, Wang Guogang, Zhang Fugang. Spatio-temporal dynamic patterns of rural area development in eastern coastal China. Chinese Geographical Science, 2013, 23(2): 173-181.
25. Liu Yansui, Chen Yangfen, Long Hualou. Regional diversity of peasant household response to new countryside construction based on field survey in eastern coastal China. Journal of Geographical Sciences, 2011, 21(5): 869-881.
26. Liu Yansui, Liu Yu, Cheng Yaofeng, Long Hualou. The process and driving forces of rural hollowing in China under rapid urbanization. Journal of Geographical Sciences, 2010, 20(6): 876-888.
27. Liu Yansui, Wang Jieyong, Long Hualong. Analysis of arable land loss and its impact on rural sustainability in Southern Jiangsu Province of China. Journal of Environmental Management, 2010, 91 (3):646–653.
28. Liu Yansui, Zhang Yanyu, Guo Liying. Towards realistic assessment of cultivated land quality in an ecologically fragile environment: A satellite imagery-based approach. Applied Geography, 2010, 30(2): 271-281.
29. Liu Yansui, Zhang Fugang, Zhang Yingwen Appraisal of typical rural development models during rapid urbanization in the eastern coastal region of China. Journal of Geographical Sciences, 2009, 19(5): 557-567.
30. Liu Yansui, Wang Jieyong, Deng Xiangzheng. Rocky land desertification and its driving forces in the karst areas of rural Guangxi, Southwest China. Journal of Mountain Science, 2008, 5(4): 681-699.
31. Liu Yansui, Wang Lijuan, Long Hualou. Spatio-temporal analysis of land-use conversion in the eastern coastal China during 1996-2005. Journal of Geographical Sciences, 2008, 18(3): 274-282.
32. Liu Yansui, Wang Jieyong and Guo Liying.GIS-Based assessment of land suitability for optimal allocation in the Qinling Mountains, China. Pedosphere. 2006, 16(5): 579-586.
33. Liu Yansui, Wang Dawei, Jay Gao. Land use/cover changes, the environment and water resources in Northeast China. Environmental Management, 2005, (36): 691-701.
34. Liu Yansui, Hu Yecui, Peng Liuying. Accurate quantification of grassland cover density in the alpine meadow soil based on remote sensing and GPS. Pedosphere, 2005, 5(6): 778-783.
35. Liu Yansui, Gan Hong, Jay Gao. The causes and environmental effects of land use conversion during agricultural restructuring in Northeast China. Journal of Geographical Sciences, 2004, 14 (4): 488-494.
36. Liu Yansui, Zha Yong, Jay Gao, Ni Shaoxiang. Assessment of grassland degradation near Lake Qinghai, Western China using Landsat TM and ‘in situ’ reflectance spectra data. International Journal of Remote Sensing, 2004, 25(20): 4177-4189.
37. Liu Yansui, Zhang Xiaoping, Li Xianwen. Mechanism and regulation of land use change in Yulin District. Journal of Geographical Sciences, 2003, 13(2): 139-146.
38. Liu Yansui, Jay Gao, Yang Yanfeng. A holistic approach towards assessment of severity of land degradation along the great wall in Northern Shaanxi Province, China. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 2003, 82 (2): 187-202.
39. Liu Yansui, Md Anisul Islam, Jay Gao. Quantification of shallow water quality parameters by means of remote sensing. Progress in Physical Geography, 2003, 27(1):24–43.
1. Yansui Liu (chief editor). Research on Land Resources and New-type Urbanization Construction in China. Beijing: Xinhua Press, 2015.
2. Yansui Liu, Hualou Long, Jieyong Wang. Agricultural Modernizations and Peasants in China. Beijing: Science Press, 2014.
3. Yansui Liu. Geography of New Countryside Construction in China. Beijing: Science Press, 2011.
4. Yansui Liu, Hualou Long, Yufu Chen, et al. Research Report on Rural Development in China: Hollowed Village and Its Renovation Strategy. Beijing: Science Press, 2011.
5. Yansui Liu, Hualou Long, Yufu Chen. Study on Land Use System Assessment and Improvement Decisions: A Case Study of Hainan Province. Beijing: Science Press, 2011.
6. Yansui Liu, Weiyuan Zheng. Sustainable Land Use of China. Beijing: Science Press, 2008.
7. Yansui Liu, et al. Save Food around Us. Beijing: Science Press, 2008.
8. Yansui Liu. Optimal Allocation of Regional Land Use. Beijing: Academy Press, 1999.
9. Yansui Liu, Shuhe Yang. Land Degradation Mechanism and Optimal Allocation of Land Resource in Farm-animal Husbandry Region: An Empirical Study on The Typical Region in Yulin, Shaanxi province. Beijing: Science Press, 2005.
10. Xudong Guo, Fengrong Zhang, Yansui Liu. Study on Regional Cultivated Land Protection Monitoring and Early Warning. Beijing: Geological Publishing House, 2011.
11. Weidong Liu, Fengjun Jin, Yansui Liu. China’s Regional Development Report 2011. Beijing: Commercial Press, 2011.
12. Zhisheng Yang, Yansui Liu. Study on Eco-friendly Land Use in China Mountain Areas. Beijing: Science Press, 2007.
13. Shuhe Yang, Yansui Liu. Land Resources Exploitation and Regional Coordinated Development. Beijing: Science Press, 2005.
14. Zhisheng Yang, Yansui Liu, Qiaogui Zhao, et al. The Principles and Methods of Regional Food Security Assessment and Practices in Yunnan Province Based on the Utilization of Cultivated Land Resources. Beijing: Science Press, 2008.
15. Zhisheng Yang, Yansui Liu, Po Hu. Land Use Planning for Large and Medium-sized Hydropower Construction and Resettlement in Yunnan Province. Beijing:Science Press, 2006.
16. Shaoxiang Ni, Yansui Liu. Study on Situation and Sustainable Utilization of Land Resources in China. Kunming: Yunnan Scientific Publishing Press, 2004.
17. Yansui Liu. China’s Land Resources Strategy and Regional Coordinated Development. Beijing: China Meteorological Press, 2006.
18. Yansui Liu. Research on Sustainable Use of Land Resources and New Countryside Construction in China. Chongqing: Southwest China Normal University Press, 2008.
19. Yansui Liu, Zhisheng Yang, Qiaogui Zhao. Coordinated Development of Man-land System and Development and Utilization of Land Resources in Mountainous Areas of China. Beijing: Science Press, 2010.
20. Yansui Liu, Kangning Xiong. Wenhong Dan. Urban-rural Harmonious Development and Land Consolidation in Rural China. Guiyang: Guizhou Publishing Group, 2012.
21. Yansui Liu, Macuo Zhuo. Ecological Civilization Construction and Utilization of Land Resources in China. Xining: Qinghai People’s Press, 2013.
1. Yansui Liu. Accurate poverty alleviation should rely on scientific system. People’s Daily, October 19, 2015.
2. Yansui Liu. How Rural Land Circulation is healthy. People’s Daily, April 22, 2015.
3. Yansui Liu. New Thought Need to Go Back Hollowed Hometown. People’s Daily, March 11, 2014.
4. Yansui Liu. New-type Urbanization Needs to Solve the Land Problems. Guang Ming Daily, October 17, 2013.
5. Yansui Liu. New-type Urbanization Should Treat ‘Rural Disease’. People’s Daily, September 10, 2013.
6. Yansui Liu. Pollution Governance in Rural China Is No Turning Back. People’s Daily, February 26, 2013.
7. Yansui Liu. Economical and Intensive Use of Land Resources Facilitates a Balanced Development between Rural and Urban Areas. People’s Daily, September 25, 2012.
8. Yansui Liu. Cultivated Land Protection Needs to Put an End to ‘Embezzlement’. People’s Daily, November 21, 2011.
9. Yansui Liu. The Circulation of Rural Land Trust Lets Farmers Benefit From Land Increment. People’s Daily, June 21, 2011.
10. Yansui Liu. The Key to Stabilize Food Production Is to Let Farmers Benefit from It. People’s Daily, March 28, 2011.
11. Yansui Liu. Rural Land Consolidation Should Benefit Farmers. People’s Daily, November 11, 2010.
12. Yansui Liu. The Country Should Provide the Lost-land Peasants with a Solid and Reliable Future. People’s Daily, August 29, 2010.
13. Yansui Liu. The New Countryside Construction Is the Largest Domestic Demand in China. People’s Daily, April 12, 2010.
14. Yansui Liu. China’s New Countryside Construction and Urbanization Should Be an Integral. People’s Daily, April 8, 2010.
15. Yansui Liu. Say No to Squeeze Ecological Space. Economic Daily, January 4, 2014.
16. Yansui Liu. Promoting the Economical and Intensive Use of Land Resources Is of Great Significance. Economic Daily, August 24, 2012.
17. Yansui Liu. The Reform of the Power System and the Revenue System Should Be Carried Out Synchronously. The Chinese Newspaper of Land and Resources. March 7, 2012.
18. Yansui Liu. Correcting Imbalance of Land Resources between Urban and Rural Areas. Outlook, November 23, 2010.
19. Yansui Liu. The Deep-seated Problems Affecting China’s Food Security Has Become Increasingly Prominent. Science Times, October 19, 2010.
20. Yansui Liu. Scientific Promoting Rural Land Remediation. Shaanxi Daily, September 15, 2009.
International Academic Exchange
1. Yansui Liu. Rural hollowing problem in China: The evolution process, driving forces and policy implications. Session “Rural Development in China”, AAG Meeting 2016, 2 Apr. 2016, San Francisco.
2. Yansui Liu. China’s urbanization and rural transformation. CIESIN of Columbia University, 28 Mar. 2016, New York.
3. Yansui Liu. “Differentiation of rural poverty and its reduction strategies”. International Conference on Territorial Inequality and Rural Development. 25-27 Jan. 2016, Puebla, Mexico.
4. Yansui Liu. “Comprehensive Analysis of Hollowing Villages in China: A transformation perspective”. International Geographical Union Conference. 17-22 Aug. 2015, Moscow.
5. Yansui Liu. “New-type Urbanization and Urban-rural Transformation Development in China”. Third Australian Earth System Outlook Conference. 8-10 December 2014, Canberra.
6. Yansui Liu. “National New-type Urbanization Plan and rural transformation development in China”. The Eleventh Workshop on Social Capital and Development Trends in the Swedish and Japanese Countryside. 21-22 August, 2014, Östersund, Sweden.
7. Yansui Liu. “Food Security and Governance of Land Tenure in China”. International Seminar of Increasing Awareness on the Voluntary Guidelines on the Responsible Governance of Land Tenure, FAO, CAAS, 23 June 2014, Beijing.
8. Yansui Liu. “Rural Hollowing and Land Consolidation under Rapid Urbanization in China”. The 8th JAPAN-Korea-China Joint Conference on Geography, 1-2 August 2013, Fukuoka.
9. Yansui Liu. “Poverty Alleviation and Development Transformation and the Construction of Ecological Civilization”. The 15th Annual Meeting of the Chinese Science and Technology Association, 22-13 May 2013, Xingyi, Guizhou.
10. Yansui Liu. “Land Use Issues and Policy in China under Rapid Urbanization”. International Conference on Land Use Issues and Policy in China under Rapid Rural and Urban Transformation, 21-23 October 2012, Beijing.
11. Yansui Liu. “Building a New Countryside in China: Philosophies, Organization, and Practices”. The 3rd International Conference of the Institute of Rice, Life & Civilization, 26-27 October 2010, Chonbuk.
12. Yansui Liu. “The Rural Transformation Development and New Countryside construction in Coastal Region of China”. China-France International Symposium on Rural Construction and Development, 23-24 September 2007, Beijing.
Room 1621, No. 1 Building of IGSNRR
11A, Datun Road, Chaoyang District,
Beijing 100101, P. R. of China
Updated on April 7, 2016