Name: LIU Weidong
Professor in Economic Geography;
Deputy Head of the Department of Human Geography and Regional Development
？ 1996.11-2000.3, Department of Geography, University of Hong Kong, Ph.D.;
？ 1988.7 -1991.4, Institute of Geography, Chinese Academy of Sciences, MS.;
？ 1984.9-1988.7, Department of Geography, Peking University, BS.
Areas of Specialization: Economic geography and regional development studies.
？ Spatial implications of new information and communication technologies;
？ Global production network and foreign direct investment in China;
？ Regional development and disparities in China
？ Local and regional sustainable development
？ Elio Matacena Award for Outstanding Papers by Young Scholars in China, 2003,
？ National Outstanding Young Geographer, 2003;
？ Outstanding Ph.D. Thesis, Faculty of Arts, University of Hong Kong, 2000;
？ 2nd Class Award for Science and Technology Progress, CAS, 1998;
？ 2st Class Award for Science and Technology Progress, Xiamen, China, 1996
？ Chair, Commission on Economic Geography, the Geographical Society of China;
？ Full member of the IGU Commission on Local Development;
？ Advisory Board Member, Progress in Human Geography;
？ Editorial Board member, Eurasian Geography and Economics;
？ Head, CNC-IHDP/Industrial Transformation Working Group;
？ Member of the Membership Committee of the Association of American Geographers;
？ Honorary research fellow, AACS, Hong Kong Baptist University;
？ Co-Chair, Second Global Conference on Economic Geography, June 25-28, 2007.
？ Consultant to the Office of the Leading Group of Western Region Development of the State Council, for Making the 11th Five-Year-Plan of Western China;
？ Consultant to the National Sustainable Communities, the Ministry of Science and Technology of China;
？ 2006-07, Part-time consultant to the Asia Development Bank, for the project of “Gansu Provincial Development Strategy”;
？ 2004-05, Part-time consultant to China-EU Environmental Management Cooperation Program (Lot 2: Local and Municipal Development), for making Planning Guide for Local Sustainable Development in China,
？ 2003-05, Part-time consultant to the World Bank, for the project of “Study of Small Town Development Strategy in China”;
？ 2002.2-6, Part-time consultant to the World Bank, for the project of “City Development Strategy in China” (China CDS2);
？ 2001.4-6, Part-time consultant to the World Bank, for the project of “Development of Lagging Regions in China”.
1. Liu, Weidong, 2009, Where is the bridge? Progress in Human Geography, 33(1):7-9;
2. Liu, Weidong & Yeung, H.W.C., 2008, China’s Dynamic Industrial Sector: The Automobile Industry, Eurasian Geography and Economics, 49(5):523-548.
3. Liu, Weidong & Wu, Wei, 2008, Development of Local Financial Systems in Mainland China, Eurasian Geography and Economics, 49(2):160-179.
4. Yeung, H.W.C & Liu, Weidong, 2008, Globalizing China: The Rise of Mainland Chinese Firms in the Global Economy, Eurasian Geography and Economics, 49(1):57-86;
5. Liu, Weidong & Dicken, P., 2006, Transnational corporations and ‘obligated embeddedness’: foreign direct investment in China’s automobile Industry, Environment and Planning A, 38(7):1229-1247;
6. Yeung, H.W.C, Liu, Weidong & Dicken, P., 2006, Transnational Corporations and Network Effects of a Local Manufacturing Cluster in Mobile Telecommunications Equipment in China, World Development, 34(3):520-540;
7. Yeung, H.W.C. & Liu W.D., 2006, Teaching Economic Geography in Two Contrasting Asian Contexts: Decentering Anglo-American Economic Geography in China and Singapore, Journal of Geography in Higher Education, V30(3), 449-455.
8. Liu, Weidong, Dicken, P. & Yeung, H.W.C., 2004, New Information and Communication Technologies and Local Clustering of Firms: A case study of the Xingwang industrial park in Beijing, Urban Geography, 25(4):390-407;
9. Liu, Weidong & Lu Dadao, 2002, Rethinking the Development of Economic Geography in Mainland China, Environment and Planning A, 34(12):2107-2126;
10. Sit, V.F.S. & Liu, Weidong, 2000, Restructuring and Spatial Change of China's Auto Industry under Institutional Reform and Globalization, Annals of the Association of American Geographers, 90(4):653-673;
11. Liu Weidong, 2002, Development of the Internet in China and Its Spatial Characteristics, in Hayter R. & Heron R. (eds.), Knowledge, Territory and Industrial Space, Hampshire, UK: Ashgate, pp.87-106;
12. Liu Weidong, 2001, Assessing Total Regional Development in China, in Sit, V.F.S. & Lu, Da-dao (eds.), China’s Regional Disparity: Issues and Policies, New York: Nova Science Publishers, Inc., pp.39-83;
13. Wang J. Jixian & Liu Weidong, 2000, The Dynamic Relationship between Central Government and Local Authorities in Orienting Foreign Direct Investment: a case of automotive industry, in Li, S. M. & Tang, W. S. (eds.), China’s Regions, Polity, & Economy, Hong Kong: The Chinese University Press, pp.217-246;
14. Liu Weidong & Lu Dadao, 2005, Methodological Basis for Making Regional Spatial Planning in China in the New Era, Acta Geographic Sinica (in Chinese), V60(6): 894-902;
15. Liu Weidong & Lu Dadao, 2004, Progress in Economic Geography, Annals of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (in Chinese), V.19(1), 35-39;
16. Ye Qi & Liu Weidong, 2004, Progress in the Study of Labour Issues by Economic Geographers in Western Countries, Acta Geographic Sinica (in Chinese), V.50(S); 191-197;
17. Lu, Dadao & Liu, Weidong, 2000, Analysis of Geo-factors behind Regional Development and Regional Policy in China, Geographical Science (in Chinese), V20(6), 487-493.
Major Research Projects since 2004:
？ Assessing the Impacts of Industrial Restructuring on Carbon Emission in China, 2007-10, funded by the Ministry of Science and Technology of China, principle investigator;
？ A Study of the Spatial Strategy of the Development of Central China, 2005-07, funded by CAS, principle investigator;
？ Analysis of Factors and Dynamics of Regional Sustainable Development, 2005-06, funded by the Ministry of Science and Technology of China, principle investigator;
？ Modeling of Regional Sustainable Development, 2005-06, funded by IGSNRR, CAS, principle investigator.
？ A Study of the Natural Resources and Environmental Basis for Sustainable Development of Central China and Its Spatial Patterns, 2005-06, funded by CAS, principle investigator
？ A Study of the Impacts of New Information and Communication Technologies on Firm’s Spatial Organization, 2006-08, funded by China National Natural Sciences Foundation, principle investigator.
？ A Study of Small Town Development Strategy in China, 2003-05, the World Bank, expert on industrial economics;
？ Strategy of Sustainable Development of Northeast China, 2004, entrusted by the State Council and granted by the Chinese Academy of Sciences, major investigator
Institute of Geographical Sciences and Natural Resources Research, CAS
11A Plus, Datun Road
Chaoyang District, Beijing, 100101, China