2006-present: Research Professor of the Institute of Geographic Sciences and Natural Resources Research, Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS)
2008-present: Vice-head of the Key Lab of Network Observation and Modeling of Ecosystems, CAS
2013-present: Professor of the Sino-Danish College, University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS)
2015-present: Professor of the College of Resources and Environment, UCAS
2015-present: Vice-head of the Teaching and Research Section for Ecosystem Ecology, College of Resources and Environment, UCAS
1982-1986: B.S. in Desert Ecology and Forestry Science, Inner Mongolia Agriculture University (formerly Inner Mongolia Forestry College), Hohhot, China.
1986-1989: M.D. in Physical Geography, Cold and Arid Regions Environmental and Engineering Research Institute, Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) [formerly Institute of Desert Research (IDR) of CAS], Lanzhou, China.
1998-2001: Ph.D. in Biology, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Japan.
Areas of Specialization:
Interaction (carbon and water vapor exchange) between the atmosphere and terrestrial ecosystems (monitoring the fluxes across space and time);
Feedbacks between global change and ecosystem processes (carbon sequestration and ecosystem resilience or stability);
Soil carbon and nitrogen cycling and underlying mechanisms in forest and grassland ecosystems;
Linking above and belowground water, carbon and nitrogen cycling processes by means of stable isotope tracing and eco-stoichiometry
1997-2001: Japanese Government Scholarship (Monbusho)
1997: One of holders of the Award for Science and Technology Achievements, CAS.
1997: Excellent Youth Scientist Award, Lanzhou Branch of CAS.
1996: One of holders of the Achievement Award for Science and Technology Progress, SSTCC and the State Planning Commission of China.
As of Sept. 2017, over 170 papers have been published, including (* Corresponding Authors):
1) Zhao W, Hu ZM, Li SG*, Guo Q, Yang H, Zhang TH. 2017. Impact of land use conversion on soil organic carbon stocks in an agro-pastoral ecotone of Inner Mongolia. Journal of Geographical Sciences 27(8):999-1010.
2) Kou L, McCormack ML, Chen WW, Guo DL, Wang HM, Gao WL, Yang H, Li SG*. 2017. Nitrogen ion form and spatio-temporal variation in root distribution mediate nitrogen effects on lifespan of ectomycorrhizal roots. Plant and Soil, 411(1): 261–273.
3) Kou L, Wang HM, Gao WL, Chen WW, Yang H, Li SG*. 2017. Nitrogen addition regulates tradeoff between root capture and foliar resorption of nitrogen and phosphorus in a subtropical pine plantation. Trees-Structure and Function, 31(1): 77–91.
4) Zhao W, Hu ZM*, Li SG*, Guo Q, Yang H, Zhang TH. 2017. Comparison of surface energy budgets and feedbacks to microclimate among different land use types in an agro-pastoral ecotone of northern China. Science of the Total Environment 599-600:891-898.
5) Gao WL, Kou L, Zhang JB, Müller C, Wang HM, Yang H, Li SG*. 2016. Enhanced deposition of nitrate alters microbial cycling of N in a subtropical forest soil. Biology and Fertility of Soils, 52(7): 977–986.
6) Gao WL, Kou L, Zhang JB, Müller C, Yang H, Li SG*. 2016. Ammonium fertilization causes a decoupling of ammonium cycling in a boreal forest. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 101(1):114–123.
7) Gao WL, Kou L, Yang H, Zhang JB, Müller C, Li SG*. 2016. Are nitrate production and retention processes in subtropical acidic forest soils responsive to ammonium deposition? Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 100(1):102–109.
8) Hu ZM, Li SG, Guo Q, Niu SL, He NP, Li LH, Yu GR*. 2016. A synthesis of the effect of grazing exclusion on carbon dynamics in grasslands in China. Global Change Biology, 22(4): 1385–1393.
9) Guo Q, Li SG, Hu ZM*, Zhao W, Yu GR, Sun XM, Li LH, Liang NS, Bai WM. 2016. Responses of gross primary productivity to different sizes of precipitation events in a temperate grassland ecosystem in Inner Mongolia, China. Journal of Arid Land, 8(1): 36-46.
10) Kou L, Chen WW, Gao WL, Yang H, Wang HM, Li SG*. 2015. Effects of mixture of branch order-based roots and nitrogen addition on root decay in a subtropical pine plantation. Biology and Fertility of Soils, 51(8): 947-957.
11) Guo Q, Hu ZM*, Li SG*, Yu GR, Sun XM, Mu SL, Zhu XJ, Wang YF, Li YN, Zhao W. 2015. Contrasting responses of gross primary productivity to precipitation events in a water-limited and a temperature-limited grassland ecosystem. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 214-215: 169-177.
12) Kou L, Chen WW, Zhang XY, Gao WL, Yang H, Li DL, Li SG*. 2015. Differential responses of needle and branch order-based root decay to nitrogen addition: dominant effects of acid-unhydrolyzable residue and microbial enzymes. Plant and Soil, 394(1): 315-327.
13) Kou L, Guo DL, Yang H, Gao WL, Li SG*. 2015. Growth, morphological traits and mycorrhizal colonization of fine roots respond differently to nitrogen addition in a slash pine plantation in subtropical China. Plant and Soil 391(1-2):207–218.
14) Gao WL, Yang H, Kou L, Li SG*. 2015. Erratum to: Effects of nitrogen deposition and fertilization on N transformations in forest soils: a review. Journal of Soils and Sediments 15(5):1233–1234.
15) Gao WL, Yang H, Kou L, Li SG*. 2015. Effects of nitrogen deposition and fertilization on N transformations in forest soils: a review. Journal of Soils and Sediments 15(4):863–879.
16) Hu Z-M, Wen X-F, Sun X-M, Li L-H, Yu G-R, Lee X-H, Li S-G*. Partitioning of evapotranspiration through oxygen isotopic measurements of water pools and fluxes in a temperate grassland. Journal of Geophysical Research – Biogeosciences, 119(3): 358–371.
17) Zhang C.-H., S.-G. Li*, L.-M. Zhang, X.-P. Xin, X.-R. Liu. 2014. Litter mixing significantly affects decomposition in the Hulun Buir meadow steppe of Inner Mongolia, China. Journal of Plant Ecology, 7(1): 59-67.
18) Wei YF, Fang J, Liu S, Zhao XY, Li SG*. 2013. Stable isotopic observation of water use sources of Pinus sylvestris var. mongolica in Horqin Sandy Land, China. Trees-Structure and Function, 27(5): 1249-1260.
19) Hu ZM, Li SG*, Yu GR, Sun XM, Zhang LM, Han SJ, Li YN. 2013. Modeling evapotranspiration by combing a two-source model, a leaf stomatal model, and a light-use efficiency model. Journal of Hydrology, 501(1): 186–192.
20) Guo Q, Hu ZM*, Li SG*, Li XR, Sun XM, Yu GR. 2012. Spatial variations in aboveground net primary productivity along a climate gradient in Eurasian temperate grassland: effects of mean annual precipitation and its seasonal distribution. Global Change Biology, 18(12): 3624-3631.
21) Hu ZM, Li SG*, Dong J, Fan J. 2012. Assessment of changes in the state of the rangelands of Inner Mongolia, China between 1998 and 2007 using remotely sensed data. The Rangeland Journal, 34(1): 103-109.
22) Hu Z.-M., Yu G.-R., Fan J.-W., Zhong H.-P., Wang S.-Q., Li S.-G.*. 2010. Precipitation-use efficiency along a 4500-km grassland transect. Global Ecology and Biogeography, 19: 842–851.
23) Liu X.-R., Dong Y.-S., Qi Y.-C., Li S.-G.*. 2010. Drivers of soil net nitrogen mineralization in the temperate grasslands in Inner Mongolia, China. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems, 87(1): 59-69.
24) Liu S., Li S.-G.*, Yu G.-R., Asanuma J., Sugita M., Zhang L.-M., Hu Z.-M., Wei Y.-F.. 2010. Seasonal and inter-annual variations in water vapor exchange and surface water balance over a grazed steppe in central Mongolia. Agricultural Water Management, 97(6): 857–864.
25) Li S.-G.*, Eugster W., Asanuma J., Kotani A., Davaa G., Oyunbaatar D., Sugita M. 2008. Response of gross ecosystem productivity, light use efficiency, and water use efficiency of Mongolian steppe to seasonal variations in soil moisture. Journal of Geophysical Research-Biogeosciences, 113: G01019.
26) Li S.-G.*, Tsujimura M., Sugimoto A., Davaa G., Oyunbaatar D. and Sugita M. 2007. Temporal variation of δ13C of larch leaves from a montane boreal forest in Mongolia. Trees-Structure and Function, 21, 479–490.
27) Li S.-G.*, Romero-Saltos H.G., Tsujimura M., Sugimoto A., Sasaki L., Davaa G., Oyunbaatar D. 2007. Plant water sources in the cold semiarid ecosystem of the upper Kherlen River catchment in Mongolia: A stable isotope approach. Journal of Hydrology, 333: 109–117.
28) Li S.-G.*, Asanuma J., Kotani A., Davaa G. and Oyunbaatar D. 2007. Evapotranspiration from a Mongolian steppe under grazing and its environmental constraints. Journal of Hydrology, 333: 133–143.
29) Li S.-G.*, Tsujimura M., Sugimoto A., Davaa G., Oyunbaatar D. and Sugita M. 2006. Natural recovery of steppe vegetation on vehicle tracks in central Mongolia. Journal of Biosciences, 31(1): 85–93.
30) Li S.-G.*, Tsujimura M., Sugimoto A., Sasaki L., Yamanaka T., Davaa G., Oyunbaatar D. and Sugita M. 2006. Seasonal variations in oxygen isotope composition of waters for a montane larch forest in Mongolia. Trees-Structure and Function, 20: 122–130.
31) Li S.-G.*, Eugster W., Asanuma J., Kotani A., Davaa G., Oyunbaatar D. and Sugita M. 2006. Energy partitioning and its biophysical controls above a grazing steppe in central Mongolia. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 137(1-2): 89–106.
32) Li S.-G.*, Asanuma J., Eugster W., Kotani A., Liu J.J., Urano T., Oikawa T., Davaa G., Oyunbaatar D. and Sugita M. 2005. Net ecosystem carbon dioxide exchange over grazed steppe in central Mongolia. Global Change Biology, 11: 1941–1955.
33) Li S.-G.*, Asanuma J., Kotani A., Eugster W., Davaa G., Oyunbaatar D. and Sugita M. 2005. Year-round measurements of net ecosystem CO2 flux over a montane larch forest in Mongolia. Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmosphere, 110: D09303.
34) Li S.-G.*, Lai C.-T., Lee G., Shimoda S., Yokoyama T., Higuchi A. and Oikawa T..2005. Evapotranspiration from a wet temperate grassland and its sensitivity to microenvironmental variables. Hydrological Processes, 19(2): 517–532.
35) Li S.-G.*, Lai C.-T., Yokoyama T. and Oikawa T. 2003. Seasonal variation in energy budget and net ecosystem CO2 exchange over a wet C3/C4 co-occurring grassland: effects of development of the canopy. Ecological Research, 18: 661–675.
36) Li S.-G.*, Harazono Y., Zhao H.-L., He Z.-Y., Chang X.-L., Zhao X.-Y., Zhang T.-H. and Oikawa T. 2002. Micrometeorological changes following establishment of artificial artemisia vegetation on dunes and their implication in combating desertification in Inner Mongolia. Journal of Arid Environments, 52: 101–119.
37) Li S.-G.*, Harazono Y., Oikawa T., Zhao H.-L., He Z.-Y. and Chang X.-L. 2000. Grassland desertification by grazing and the resulting micrometeorological changes in Inner Mongolia. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 102: 125–137.