Name: DENG Xiangzheng
Current appointment: Professor, Institute of Geographic Sciences and Natural Resources Research, Chinese Academy of Sciences
Education: PhD, Chinese Academy of Sciences
Areas of Specialization: Environmental and Natural Resource Economics; Land Change Science; Water Resource Management; Ecosystem Services and Functions; Urbanization and Global Environment Change; Sustainability-based Decision Making
Award for Surveying and Mapping Science and Technology Progress from Chinese Society for Surveying, Mapping and Geoinformation, 2015, 2017, 2018.
Award for Science and Technology from Chinese Academy of Fishery Sciences, 2011.
Award for Science and Technology from Hainan Provincial Government, China, 2009.
Award for Most Cited English Articles by Acta Geographica Sinica, China, 2014
Award for Most Cited Articles by Chinese Mainland Authors on Elsevier Economics Journals,2004-2008.
Steering Scientific Committee (SSC) member, Urbanization and Global Environmental Change (UGEC), IHDP, 2010-.
Consultant, Ecosystem services and poverty alleviation project, NERC, ESRC and DfID, UK, 2009-2012.
Consultant, Environment-friendly ecological agriculture development strategy research project for the Yellow River Basin response to climate change, UN Food and Agriculture Organization, 2008-2010.
Consultant, Guangxi Integrated Forestry Development and Conservation Project, World Bank, 2005-2010.
Editor, Journal of Regional Environmental Change, 2009-.
Editorial Board Member, Journal of Land Use Science, 2014-.
Editorial Board Member, Journal of Geographical Science, 2015-.
Editorial Board Member, Land, 2016-.
Editorial Board Member, Journal of Cleaner Production, 2017-.
Arowolo, A.O., Deng, X., Olatunji, O.A., Obayelu, A.E., 2018. Assessing changes in the value of ecosystem services in response to land-use/land-cover dynamics in Nigeria. Science of The Total Environment 636, 597–609.
Bai, Y., Deng, X., Jiang, S., Zhao, Z., Miao, Y., 2018. Relationship between climate change and low-carbon agricultural production: A case study in Hebei Province, China. Ecological Indicators. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2018.04.003
Shan, Y., Guan, D., Hubacek, K., Zheng, B., Davis, S.J., Jia, L., Liu, J., Liu, Z., Fromer, N., Mi, Z., Meng, J., Deng, X., Li, Y., Lin, J., Schroeder, H., Weisz, H., Schellnhuber, H.J., 2018. City-level climate change mitigation in China. Sci. Adv. 4, eaaq0390.
Bryan, B.A., Gao, L., Ye, Y., Sun, X., Connor, J.D., Crossman, N.D., Stafford-Smith, M., Wu, J., He, C., Yu, D., Liu, Z., Li, A., Huang, Q., Ren, H., Deng, X., Zheng, H., Niu, J., Han, G., Hou, X., 2018. China’s response to a national land-system sustainability emergency. Nature 559, 193.
Deng, X., Gibson, J., 2018a. Sustainable land use management for improving land eco-efficiency: a case study of Hebei, China. Ann Oper Res 1–13.
Deng, X., Gibson, J., 2018b. Improving eco-efficiency for the sustainable agricultural production: A case study in Shandong, China. Technological Forecasting and Social Change. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2018.01.027
Ge, Q., Jiang, D., Lu, F., Fu, J., Wang, S., Deng, X., 2018. Spatio-temporal simulation of the geopolitical environment system. J. Geogr. Sci. 28, 871–880.
Ge, Y., Li, X., Cai, X., Deng, X., Wu, F., Li, Z., Luan, W., 2018. Converting UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to Decision-Making Objectives and Implementation Options at the River Basin Scale. Sustainability 10, 1056.
Han, Z., Song, W., Deng, X., Xu, X., 2018. Grassland ecosystem responses to climate change and human activities within the Three-River Headwaters region of China. Scientific Reports 8, 9079.
Huang, J., Zhou, K., Zhang, W., Deng, X., van der Werf, W., Lu, Y., Wu, K., Rosegrant, M.W., 2018. Uncovering the economic value of natural enemies and true costs of chemical insecticides to cotton farmers in China. Environmental Research Letters 13, 064027.
Jin, G., Deng, X., Zhao, X., Guo, B., Yang, J., 2018a. Spatiotemporal patterns in urbanization efficiency within the Yangtze River Economic Belt between 2005 and 2014. J. Geogr. Sci. 28, 1113–1126.
Jin, G., Li, Z., Deng, X., Yang, J., Chen, D., Li, W., 2018b. An analysis of spatiotemporal patterns in Chinese agricultural productivity between 2004 and 2014. Ecological Indicators. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2018.05.073
Liu, Y., Song, W., Deng, X., 2018. Understanding the spatiotemporal variation of urban land expansion in oasis cities by integrating remote sensing and multi-dimensional DPSIR-based indicators. Ecological Indicators. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2018.01.029
Najmuddin, O., Deng, X., Bhattacharya, R., 2018. The Dynamics of Land Use/Cover and the Statistical Assessment of Cropland Change Drivers in the Kabul River Basin, Afghanistan. Sustainability 10, 423.
Wang, G., Lin, N., Zhou, X., Li, Z., Deng, X., 2018. Three-Stage Data Envelopment Analysis of Agricultural Water Use Efficiency: A Case Study of the Heihe River Basin. Sustainability 10, 568.
Wang, P., Deng, X., Zhou, H., Qi, W., 2018. Responses of urban ecosystem health to precipitation extreme: A case study in Beijing and Tianjin. Journal of Cleaner Production 177, 124–133.
Wang, Z., Chen, J., Zheng, W., Deng, X., 2018a. Dynamics of land use efficiency with ecological intercorrelation in regional development. Landscape and Urban Planning 177, 303–316.
Wang, Z., Deng, X., Wong, C., Li, Z., Chen, J., 2018b. Learning urban resilience from a social-economic-ecological system perspective: A case study of Beijing from 1978 to 2015. Journal of Cleaner Production 183, 343–357.
Zhang, W., Lu, Y., Werf, W. van der, Huang, J., Wu, F., Zhou, K., Deng, X., Jiang, Y., Wu, K., Rosegrant, M.W., 2018. Multidecadal, county-level analysis of the effects of land use, Bt cotton, and weather on cotton pests in China. PNAS 201721436.
Deng X., J. Gibson, S. Jia, 2017. Does Expressway Consume More Land of the Agricultural Production Base of Shandong Province. Computational Economics, 2017: 1-24.
Deng X., J. Gibson, P. Wang, 2017. Quantitative measurements of the interaction between net primary productivity and livestock production in Qinghai Province based on data fusion technique. Journal of Cleaner Production, 142, 758-766.
Deng X., J. Gibson, P. Wang, 2017. Relationship between landscape diversity and crop production: a case study in the Hebei Province of China based on multi-source data integration. Journal of Cleaner Production, 142, 985-992.
Deng X., J. Gibson, P. Wang,2017. Management of trade-offs between cultivated land conversions and land productivity in Shandong Province. Journal of Cleaner Production, 142, 767-774.
Deng X., Z. Li, 2016. A review on historical trajectories and spatially explicit scenarios of land-use and land-cover changes in China. Journal of Land Use Science, 11, 709-724.
Deng X., Z. Li, J. Gibson, 2016. A review on trade-off analysis of ecosystem services for sustainable land-use management. Journal of Geographical Sciences, 26(7), 953-968.
Deng X., Z. Wang, C. Zhao,2016. Economic Evolution in China Ecologically Fragile Regions. Journal of Economic Surveys, 30, 552-576.
Deng, X., J. Huang, S. Rozelle, J. Zhang, Z. Li, 2015. Impact of urbanization on cultivated land changes in China. Land Use Policy, 45, 1–7.
Deng, X., Q. Shi, Q. Zhang, C. Shi, F. Yin, 2015. Impacts of land use and land cover changes on surface energy and water balance in the Heihe River Basin of China, 2000–2010. Physics and Chemistry of the Earth 79–82, 2–10.
Deng, X., X. Bai, 2014. Sustainable Urbanization in Western China. Environment: Science and Policy for Sustainable Development 56(3): 12-24.
Deng, X., J. Han, F. Yin, 2012. Net energy, CO2 emission and land-based cost-benefit analyses of Jatropha biodiesel: a case study of the Panzhihua region of Sichuan province in China. Energies 5(7): 2150-2164.
Deng, X., J. Huang, Q. Huang, S. Rozelle, J., Gibson, 2011. Do roads lead to grassland degradation or restoration? A case study in Inner Mongolia, China. Environment and Development Economics 16(06): 751-773.
Deng, X., J. Huang, E. Uchida, S. Rozelle, J. Gibson, 2011. Pressure cookers or pressure valves: do roads lead to deforestation in China, Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 61(1): 79-94.
Deng, X., Y, Zhao, F. Wu, Y. Lin, Qi., J. Dai, 2011. Analysis of the trade-off between economic growth and the reduction of nitrogen and phosphorus emissions in the Poyang Lake Watershed, China. Ecological Modelling 222(2): 330-336.
Deng, X., J. Huang, F. Qiao, R. Naylor, Walter P Falcon, Marshall Burke, Scott Rozelle and David Battisti (2010). "Impacts of El Nino-Southern Oscillation events on China’s rice production." Journal of Geographical Sciences 20(1): 3-16.
Deng, X., J. Huang, S. Rozelle, E. Uchida, 2010. Economic growth and the expansion of urban land in China. Urban Studies 47(4): 813-843.
Deng, X., Q. Jiang, H. Su, F. Wu, 2010. Trace forest conversions in Northeast China with a 1-km area percentage data model. Journal of Applied Remote Sensing 4(1): 041893-041893-041813.
Deng, X., Q. Jiang, J. Zhan, S. He, Y. Lin, 2010. Simulation on the dynamics of forest area changes in Northeast China. Journal of Geographical Sciences 20(4): 495-509.
Deng, X., Q. Jiang, Q. Ge, L. Yang, 2010. Impacts of the Wenchuan Earthquake on the giant panda nature reserves in China. Journal of Mountain Science 7(2): 197-206.
Deng, X., J. Huang, S. Rozelle, E. Uchida, 2008. Growth, population and industrialization, and urban land expansion of China. Journal of Urban Economics 63(1): 96-115.
Deng, X., H. Su, J. Zhan, 2008. Integration of multiple data sources to simulate the dynamics of land systems. Sensors 8(2): 620-634.
Deng, X., J. Huang, S. Rozelle, E. Uchida, 2006. Cultivated land conversion and potential agricultural productivity in China. Land use policy 23(4): 372-384.
Deng, Xiangzheng (2011). Modeling the Dynamics and Consequences of Land System Change. Springer.
Deng, Xiangzheng, Buralk Güneralp, Jinyan Zhan and Hongbo Su (2014). Land Use Impacts on Climate, Springer.
Deng, Xiangzheng; Wang, Yi; Wu, Feng; Zhang, Tao; Li, Zhihui (2014). Integrated River Basin Management: Practice Guideline for the IO Table Compilation and CGE Modeling, Springer.
Deng, X., Gibson, J. (Eds.), 2019. River Basin Management, Ecohydrology. Springer Singapore.
Major Research Projects:
Over years of experiences in land use modeling, environmental monitoring and assessment, regional planning, sustainability-based decision making and project formulation and development of strategies for regional sustainable development. He has worked in formulation of implementation framework for more than 30 projects on the relevant research fields:
1. Trade-offs on Land Uses for Grain Production, Ecological Restoration and Urbanization in North China Plain, NSFC Grant, USD 0.1 million, Jan 2018-Dec 2021, PI;
2. Initiative on Social and Economic Dimensions on Climate Change and Carbon Reduction, MOST Grant, USD 4 million, July 2016-June 2021, PI;
3. A Study on Urban Ecological Community Construction and Urban Ecological Integrated Management Mechanism, NSFC Grant, USD 0.4 million, Jan 2016-Dec 2020, PI;
4. Eco-Urbanization: Promoting Sustainable Development in Metropolitan Regions of China, NSFC grant, USD 0.4 million, Jan 2016-Dec 2018, PI;
5. Decision Support System and Integrated Study for the Water Management in the Hehei River Basin, NSFC Grant, USD 2 million, Jan 2014-Dec 2017, PI;
6. Impact Assessment and Optimal Management of Land Uses, NSFC grant, USD 0.2 million, Jan 2013-Dec 2016, PI;
7. The Impacts of Climate Change on Social-Economic Systems and Adaptation Strategies, MOST grant, USD 0.2 million, June 2012- Aug. 2016, PI;
8. Regional Modern Agricultural Development Pattern and Model Simulation, CAS Grant, USD 0.3 million, Jan 2014-Dec 2016, PI;
9. The International Comparison, Scientific Selection and Path Selection of China’s Urbanization Model, CAS Grant, USD 0.1 million, Jan 2014-Dec 2016, PI;
10. Integrated Study and Demonstrations on the National Ecosystem Monitoring and Assessment of China, MOST grant, USD 0.2 million, Jun 2013-Jun 2016, PI;
11. Spatial Patterns and Evolving Mechanism of Cultivated Land Conversion in the North China Plain, NSFC Grant, USD 0.1 million, Jan 2012-Dec 2015, PI;
12. Monitoring Technologies for the Implementation of Land Use Planning in the Low Hill and Gentle Slope Areas of China, MLR grant, USD 0.5 million, Jun 2013-Jun 2015, PI;
13. Integration of the Simulation on the Climatic and Ecological Effects of Land Cover and Land Use Change and the Scenario-Based Analyses, MOST Grant, USD 0.2 million, Jun 2010-Jun 2014, PI;
14. Effects and Policy Implications of Cultivated Land Changes on Grain Security in the North China Plain, NSFC grant, USD 30 thousand, Jan 2006-Dec 2008, PI;
15. Assessment of the Cultivated Land Productivity and Exploring the Conservation Policies of Cultivated Land between Regions, NSFC grant, USD 60 thousand, Jan 2007-Dec 2009, PI;
16. GIS-based Forest Inventory and Policy Simulation for the State Forest Regions in Northeast China, NSFC-IIASA grant, USD 50 thousand, Jan 2008-Dec 2011, PI;
17. Monitoring and Assessment Technologies for the National Ecological Restoration Projects of China, MOST Grant, USD 0.2 million, Jun 2006 – Jun 2009, PI;
18. Development and Implementation of Emission Reduction Strategies on Lake Nutrients of Nitrogen and Phosphorous, China State Major Project for Water Pollution Control and Management, USD 1 million, Jun 2008 – June 2011, PI;
19. Multi-scale and multi-sensor analysis of urban cluster development and agricultural land loss in China and India, NASA grant, USD 80 thousand, Jan 2009-Dec 2012, Co- PI;
20. Impacts of the Carbon Sequestration Management on the Agricultural Production in China, CAS grant, USD 0.1 million, Jan 2006 – Dec 2009, PI;
21. Development Strategy for the Agricultural Sector and Rural area in the New Era, CAS grant, Jan 2006 – Dec 2009, USD 0.2 million Participant;
22. Impacts of El Nino-Southern Oscillation Events (ENSO) on Chinese Rice Production and the World Rice Market, US NSF, USD 0.1 million, Jun 2008 – Dec 2009, Participant and Project Coordinator;
23. Landscape diversity and ecosystem services in agricultural ecosystems: implications for sustainable growth and rural poverty in China, ESPA grant, USD 50 thousand, Jan 2010-Dec 2012, Co- PI.
24. Strategy and Policies on Environment and Development in Western China, CCICED grant, USD 0.2 million, June 2011-Dec 2012, Task Force Coordinator
Room 824 , Building No. B IGSNRR
11A Da Tun Road
An Wai, Beijing 100101
People’s Republic of China
Updated on Feb. 18, 2019